Thursday, April 23, 2009

Choopie Goes to London: Part 2

A Day Spent with Bobby.


Wednesday morning thanks to jet lag I'm up at 5:30 am. I shower, get dressed, organize my room and sit at the computer until 9.  then I head out to find a pay phone to call Bobby who i'd be spending the day with. The weather is really nice, sun shinning, about 60 degrees.  I found a phone, but it wouldn't take my credit card, and I didn't have the right coins, so I went to a little shop around the corner and bought an Orangina for 75p to get change.  

When I got ahold of Bobby we decided to meet up at the tube station, by where I'm staying, at 11.  I went back to the house and had a chat with Elise, and then headed to the station to meet Bobby.  There's a workers strike going on with the underground so a lot of the trains are closed and Bobby was about an hour late.  

While I was waiting I sat outside the station and watched people.  This is what I saw.
I saw a very chubby man with his belly hanging out below his sweater park illegally outside the station, directly after that a man driving a dump truck stuck behind the empty car cursing at it, then the chubby man trying to parallel park in a correct spot, it took him about 8 tries. 
I saw a lot of crazy good fashion, and a lot of just crazy fashion.  
I saw a police man, his uniform something out of the eighteen hundreds.  
I saw a guy bumming cigarettes off every person who walked by that was smoking, he must have had a whole pack by the time he left. 
I saw a pregnant lady and another lady get into a fight over something or other and go their separate ways.  
And, I got asked a lot of directions, for which I got a map so that I would know the answers.  
And then, Bobby came.  

Bobby saw some amazing graffiti down the street so we took some pictures.  then we headed towards Portabello Road since it was close.  We walked down for a while, went into American Apparel, and a shoe store, then we bought some fruit at a stand and went into Tesco so I could get some groceries.  All the food is different, and shopping was difficult, but ultimately VERY cheap. only 6 pounds for everything.  We went back to put the groceries in my room.  

Then we got on the underground to see what we could of central London.  We rode around for awhile trying to figure out what to do or where to get off, finally we got off at Bond Street, to have a look around there.  It was stunning, but we didn't go into any stores, there were scary security guards standing in all the doors starring you down as you walked by.  

We stumbled upon the Royal Academy of Arts, which was AMAZING! so many famous artists touched that very same railing that I touched on my way up the stairs. We heard a bit of a tour that was being given, which I found really interesting. 

Eventually we got hungry. I went to a cash machine to get money out, but my card had been suspended because I forgot to notify my bank that I was going out of the country.  So, Bobby bought me lunch (Thanks Again Bobby). we went to a place called Eat.  It was really good and I liked the packaging.  

At that point we were tired.  and, on our way back to my place we experienced the London underground during rush hour. I don't recommend it. 

We got back eventually, and figured out a route for Bobby to take home since the line he'd taken before was closed. 

What a day.  








1 comment:

  1. I wish you hadn't moved so soon:( But I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete